Core Technology Solutions is looking for an iSeries Systems Engineer. This position provides technical support to the organization’s internal users of computer applications and hardware (e.g., PCs, servers, networks) and has advanced and specialized expertise, typically developed through a combination of job-related training and considerable on-the-job experience.
Broadens competence in own area; still acquires higher level skills. Receives moderate guidance and direction in own area of knowledge. Prioritizes and organizes own work to deliver to agreed deadlines.
Applies knowledge/skills to a variety of standard day to day activities. Identifies and solves problems in straightforward situations; generates possible solutions, analyzes each using standard procedures.
Interpersonal Skills: Contributes actively in team activities, sharing experience and ideas. Builds productive relationships within and outside of own team. Typical Experience: Typically requires a university degree or no degree with 4-6 years of relevant experience.
Position: iSeries Systems Engineer Objectives The iSeries System Engineer has to ensure the correct and efficient functioning with highest availability and performance of the iSeries AS400 platform. This position will have an emphasis on providing technical 3rd tier support for the complete iSeries environment, which includes system administration on configuration, sizing, and support on implementation changes. This role also builds the central point of contact for all iSeries matters in Operations team, is responsible for guiding remote iSeries support from external vendors like IBM/Vision(iTera) and is the interface with project teams (PMO) and other internal user groups and external suppliers.
**AIX knowledge is preferred**
Key accountability areas:
- Sound knowledge and experience in supporting varying levels of IBM OS/400, licensed programs, and virtualization
- Strong knowledge of IBMi, work management, performance tuning and analysis, OS upgrades, patching, and third-party installations, upgrades, and patching
- Full knowledge and use of i5/OS commands is a must. Basic CL programming knowledge is a must, proficiency is a plus
- Provides support for production, test, and development environments globally
- Routinely exercises independent judgement in developing methods, techniques, and criteria for achieving objectives.
- Develops and maintains current documentation of all processes related to the administration of the AS400 environment and the ability to mentor team on technical competencies as required
- Robot Administration- Robot Modules (Robot/Alert, Robot/Console, Robot/Scheduler and Robot/Network)
- Replication Tool Administration (MIMIX/ iTERA/QEDD HA/ Data Mirror/Vision) DR/HA Management
- Effectively troubleshoots system issues and work with other departments if required to obtain a successful resolution within a short period of time meeting SLA targets
- Perform basic to advanced problem determination and take proactive measures for any existing or potential problems through group discussions, recommendations, or previous experience
- Must be self-motivated, independent, detail oriented, and able to work with minimal supervision
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Serves as an escalation point for iSeries issues within user community and communicates status/issues to management on a regular basis
- Must be able to accurately complete checklists and turnover
- The above list of accountabilities is not exclusive or exhaustive and is not intended as a list of individual tasks. The role holder will be required to undertake such tasks as may reasonably be expected commensurate with the scope and grading of the role. Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar OR some relevant hands on experience with administering systems
- IBM iSeries Certifications a plus Experience
- Either degree or related work experience
- Working knowledge of BRMS.
- Working knowledge of all native commands
- Robot Specialist Knowledge & Skills
- Good understanding of work management
- Good understanding of break/fix
- HMC Management
- SAN Administration IBM V9000
AIX is a plus